Chartered on April 4, 1898 as Glenwood Athletic Club, the present Edgewood Country Club is the oldest private country club in the state of West Virginia.
Its first clubhouse was located on the Kanawha River near the present intersection of Park Avenue and Kanawha Boulevard. The first golf course extended west from Delaware Avenue and south from Central Avenue. The subdivision of this land about 1906 resulted in the Club seeking a location in the new Edgewood Addition of the City of Charleston.
A charter was issued to Edgewood Country Club on June 21, 1906. In 1907 it purchased three acres of land and built a clubhouse on the present site. In October 1907, the name of the corporation was changed to Edgewood Building Association, and the name of the Glenwood Athletic Club was changed to Edgewood Country Club. At the outset, Edgewood had tennis courts, but no golf course. Later, approximately 100 acres of additional land was purchased by the Edgewood Building Association and a golf course was constructed.
During its early years, access to the Club was frequently by streetcar as the road to the clubhouse was unimproved and practically impassable in winter. A source of gaiety during this period was a special streetcar which traveled about the city picking up members and transporting them to the Club for dances. In 1930, the road to the Club was paved. Bus service replaced the streetcar in 1934.
On Christmas night, December 25, 1935 the clubhouse burned to the ground. Only the squash courts, which had been added in 1930 and separated by a walkway, were saved. The present clubhouse was built in 1936 and other facilities expanded throughout the years. Tennis courts have been added at several intervals in addition to a bathhouse for toddlers and juniors, Olympic lap pool, diving pool, and baby pool, basketball court and terrace. Major renovations in 1995 added the Member’s Lounge and Doubles Squash Court, overhauled the 19th Hole and made many updates to the 1600 Clubhouse.
In 1969, the 9 hole golf course property surrounding the Club was sold to the City of Charleston for a municipal course and park. Edgewood Country Club bought approximately 600 acres of land on Derrick’s Creek near Sissonville and developed a new 18 hole championship course. The first 9 holes were opened for play in September of 1970 and the second 9 holes the following spring. A clubhouse and 19th Hole facility were built in 1977.
In 2005 – 2006 the Capital Improvement Project funded the Golf Course Improvement Plan featuring a rebuilt course and renovated 19th Hole facility. The 1600 Clubhouse received major upgrades and improvements in every department with added parking, new flooring and lighting in many areas, new fitness equipment and upgrades to both The Men’s’ and Women’s’ Locker Rooms.
Membership has grown over the years, with 538 Edgewood memberships at the end of 2012.